June 23, 2011

Farmer's Wife Quilt Along

A couple weeks ago I started seeing a bunch of my favorite sewing and quilting blogs mention the Farmer’s Wife Quilt Along. After a few days of obsessively watching everyone else, I took the plunge and joined in. I guess you could say the farmer takes another wife.

The quilt along is a large group of people on the internet all making the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt from the book. I bought my book from Amazon. I ordered it with free shipping so it took forever to make it to my front door. The quilt along was all started by Angela at Fussy Cut & Amanda at MsMcPorkshopQuilts. You can find all of the members on The Farmer’s Wife Quilt-a-long Flickr page. There you can see everyone’s latest blocks they made for their quilt.

The quilt once finished is a Queen Size quilt and made up of 111 blocks. The quilt along is casual and work at your own pace. The majority are trying to make 2 blocks a week. Even with this pace it will take a year to make this quilt. I decided to make mine Scrappy. I have accumulated a bunch of whimsical and cutesy fabrics since I was pregnant. So over the last 3 years I have a good pile of stash that I can use to make my quilt.

I am making the blocks in order and here are my first 2 blocks

#1 Attic Windows


#2 Autumn Tints


I am photographing the blocks on a diagonal because that is how they go in the quilt. I am still a beginner quilter and have not yet mastered getting my points exactly right. I am using this sampler quilt as a learning process to sharpen my skills and to learn new things. So far so good and I love how my first 2 blocks came out.

Linking Up
Our Creative Spaces

3 Comments:

Blogger Open Roads Mama said...

oh wow! how fun! the 2 blocks are gorgeous, you are not a beginner in my eyes :) You have some really great ideas, can't wait to see more of your blocks!
I wish I had a designated craft room (or even just a table) where I could leave my sawing machine out and work on projects as ideas came to mind - but we don't have that much extra room and with having to set my machine up on the dining room table, it's not that much fun. I will enjoy quilting through your pictures for now. :)

June 23, 2011 at 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh--those are *lovely*! I specially like the way you have fussy cut the owl for the centre. Your blocks are neat and square, so well done on jumping in and joining along--have fun! Tha's what it's about, really, no? :-)
Hazle

June 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM  
Blogger Val Swisher said...

Good for you to join in. I am tempted myself! I look forward to seeing your other blocks. Please share!

June 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger